5:27

“You say you don’t consume much media “but isn’t it kind of necessary in order “to put out relevant, current content?” – Albi, that is a tremend, man! I’m feelin’ really good about this show, some new kind of topic stuff, like India’s hacking, India needs new articles, so she’s forcing me in a different […]

“You say you don’t consume much media “but isn’t it kind of necessary in order “to put out relevant, current content?” – Albi, that is a tremend, man! I’m feelin’ really good about
this show, some new kind of topic stuff, like India’s
hacking, India needs new articles, so she’s forcing me in
a different direction, so I’m impressed India, I
see what you’re doing here. – [India] They’re all planned. – Albi, that’s a great question. The reason I think I produce
such relevant, good content, is because I’m listening
to my community and that is my consumption of media. So, I don’t listen to
other thought leaders, I don’t watch other shows, I don’t, this is my relaxation, right? Like I don’t need things to unwind, I’m always unwinding, even
though it doesn’t seem so. And so, to me, I think
the reason I’m able to produce good content, is I’m listening. Look at the content of this show. Ya know, don’t have to do
much, just gotta answer your Goddamn question, right? Giving people value by listening. It’s funny, I said
something the other day, that really makes sense. If you ever get a chance
to jam with me, or this is something interesting
for you guys to hear. When you know what somebody’s ask, so I cut people off constantly, right? As you guys all can
attest to, because if I, and I have good intuition
very often, like very often, I already know what you’re about to say, and I’d much rather us move on
to the next part of execution that giving you the extra
13 seconds to finish your fucking sentence. So, people don’t think I
listen, but all I do is listen, and so I think the reason
I produce good content is I’m watching, do you know
how many of you I’m watching of what you’re tweeting
about, when it doesn’t have to do with me? When you’re putting out at other places? Why do you think I get
so pissed at all of you? Right, because you all say, “Yeah Gary, “he’s right about this,” and
none of you are doing it! Do you know few of you
were actually listening? Do you know how many of
you that have watched all 97 of these episodes still still aren’t putting in that work, aren’t executing properly
on that platform, aren’t playing the long game, are cutting shortcuts,
aren’t putting in the time, having tested dark posts,
not playing enough. Like, do you know how many? Too many. (bass-heavy music)
– [Nicole] Benjamin asks,

6:55

“for musicians wanting to make their living “playing music in the 21st century?” – Justin, thank you so much for your question. Amazing picture, great job to have your community give some love and it allowed me to see this question. I’m really excited to answer this question. You know, I think the answer is, […]

“for musicians wanting
to make their living “playing music in the 21st century?” – Justin, thank you so
much for your question. Amazing picture, great
job to have your community give some love and it allowed
me to see this question. I’m really excited to
answer this question. You know, I think the answer is, as a musician, you need to be everywhere where the people who care
about your genre of music are, and obviously the youth
is an overindexing play, so, look, if you’re not on SoundCloud, if you’re not on SnapChat
and Vine and Instagram, then you’re not living to
a 25 year-old and under, and I think that’s an
important place for you to be. So, one, you need to be
putting out content everywhere. Once you build the leverage, there’s ways to monetize, right? Brands are gonna continue
to pay for music, live events will happen. I think what really
matters is creating content and putting them out
on all these platforms, and then interacting with
your audience, right? So, it’s not good enough
to just put out a song and use DistroKit and
get it out everywhere, and then it’s on every platform, great. It’s on SoundCloud and iTunes and Spotify, great, that’s fine. But then, how do you actually harness, what is being a musician? It’s always been, look,
Grateful Dead and Phish, those are very successful bands because they actually have a community, and what happens is, people who are very hard-core about music,
I’m not one of them, but the reason they make fun of pop music is it’s fleeting, right? It sits for a second and then goes away. The best pop music,
you know, the Madonnas, the Michael Jacksons,
the Justin Timberlakes, they cultivated community. You know, it’s so funny. Everyone is like “woe is me! “You can’t make money with tools anymore.” Do you know how many people have popped and made money because of YouTube and Vine and SnapChat and
Instagram, that would have never been signed 15 years ago, and then would have had to
just go on and do what they, so what’s happened, my friend, is there’s less people at the tippy-top. There’s less acts, right? There’s not 50 people anymore, making a gadrillion just on selling music, but what’s happened is that the internet has created a longer tail, and so there’s a lot
more people right now, a lot more, making thousands
and tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands, and I’ve got to tell you something, if you’re an artist, and musicians are, you just want to be able to do your art. Do you know how many people are happy making $41,000 a year from AdSense or a random show, or
things of that nature, who now, because of modern technology, can make $41,000 a year
and play their music, who had to do something else 15 years ago to make $41,000, ’cause you couldn’t make $41,000 playing your music? So, my friend, we’re in a long tail. We’re in a long tail. You want to make enough to realy crush it and play your music? Well, then you’ve got to
care about the audience. One by one by one by one, and you gotta do things for your audience, and what I mean by that
is you’ve got to start using tools like Meerkat and create behind the scenes footage,
you have to keep innovating, you have to keep making that connection, you have to keep taking
away the velvet rope, I mean, look, Meerkat
is a preview to the fact that I’m gonna be wearing wearable devices and you guys are gonna be
following me everywhere I go, all the time, always. Truman Show, bitch. The Vaynerchuk Show. It’s coming. Get ready. Get your fucking popcorn, ’cause I’m coming at
you, and that connection is the game. So that’s episode 78 in the bag.

3:05

“join a local Chamber of Commerce “in order to build a brand in the community they live in? “I’ve never had much ROI on networking groups.” – You know, Darth Bill, the answer is probably, but maybe it’s not the group’s problem, maybe it’s your problem. Maybe you’re not good at networking, right? And so, […]

“join a local Chamber of Commerce “in order to build a brand in
the community they live in? “I’ve never had much ROI
on networking groups.” – You know, Darth Bill,
the answer is probably, but maybe it’s not the group’s problem, maybe it’s your problem. Maybe you’re not good
at networking, right? And so, you know, I think you need to look
yourself in the mirror, Darth. And I’m gonna continue with the pause, cuz I don’t wanna leave it
that negative, cuz I like Bill. Even though I’m in a little
bit of a focused mood, there’s no reason to be zingy. You know, I think you need
to really know yourself. One of the biggest reasons I do go to a lot of networking things, and I don’t go to Chamber of Commerce, though I did, we were part of one. Brandon loved it. I (mumbles) freaking loved the concept of the Chamber of Commerce. I mean, you know, I think that you really need to know yourself, and if you don’t find yourself as someone who is strong at networking, or has that gear to go up
to people and say hello, and you don’t have that bullcrap gear, where you’re just going up to everybody and handing your business card, you know, then maybe it’s not for you. I mean, we really need
to bet on strengths. You know that’s a big thesis of mine. And so I would look at yourself first. If you’re not good in that environment, then maybe you shouldn’t
be putting yourself in that position. – [Voiceover] Heromoviepodcast asks,

2:33

– [Voiceover] Paul asks, “We get like five views on our video, “three of them being from us. “How do very new and small channels “gain a following when people don’t interact?” – Paul, nice ratio on your viewership because from Wine Library TV I had a similar thing and it was my grandma and […]

– [Voiceover] Paul asks, “We get like five views on our video, “three of them being from us. “How do very new and small channels “gain a following when
people don’t interact?” – Paul, nice ratio on your viewership because from Wine Library TV I had a similar thing and it was my grandma and mom, so, I know that world. The reason I was able to build up my channel back in the day and now as well, though I have a bigger base now and you can argue with that, is the quality of the output, right? I mean, at the end of the day, how are you gonna find traction? There’s two ways. One, you can put out great content, that’s what I do. Two, and I don’t know
if that’s what you do, maybe you stink, so we need to talk about that. Two, you need to biz dev. Show this man. Right, so, I’ve done all my biz dev my entire career, but, I’m getting stretched so thin. So, Alex DS is gonna come in and start doing biz dev. So, when I see something from a tweet from one of you, and you want to distribute this content on your page, that used to go to my inbox and it would disappear, or the new WineLibrary.com and there’s wine content there, and I want to get that distributed ’cause you have a food blog, and you’d hit me up on Twitter, that would get passed on. But now, he can capture that and biz dev. So, it’s about biz dev. You now, don’t have
anybody talking about you ’cause you have five views, and all those things. But you need to biz dev in reverse. I’ve been lucky enough to have a 20 year well-executed successful career, so it comes to me, I
deserve it. It’s capitalism. You have not done that yet, but you will, hopefully. I want you to. I want to
look back at this video and be excited that you did. When I didn’t have that, I had to biz dev. When Wine Library was
Shopper’s Discount Liquors and nobody gave a crap, I walked around the neighborhood and knocked on restaurant doors and said, “Can you put these flyers on your counter, “for a 20% off coupon
by the case of wine?” I hustled. You, my friend, need to hustle. Number one, the variable
is your creative. No matter how much you hustle and sell and put out flyers, Steve, and put out flyers. Podcast listeners, that was Steve playing something in the background, I apologize, he just
doesn’t have any manners. I was on a big point too, Steve. No matter how hard I hustle, and put out flyers and made it happen. When people came to Wine Library, if we didn’t have a good selection, if we didn’t get good prices, if we didn’t have good
customer service, we lost. So, the two variables are, can you biz dev, can you make it happen or are you willing to hustle? Do you realize that we can’t be romantic, that, we’re just gonna
put out an awesome show and it’s all gonna work out. Bullshit. What needs to happen is you have to put out an awesome show and hustle your face off 15 hours a day to get people to care. That’s very different
than spamming people. That’s very different
than going on Twitter and be like, “Watch our show, “watch our show, watch our show.” Even in a world where you don’t have a huge audience, you have a way to bring value to somebody. If you can figure out how to do that, and then leverage that value for them to give you what you want which is exposure, you will win. It blows my mind how many people email me every single day saying, “Gary, can you tweet about my show?” In a world where I’m such a hustler and such a biz dev guy, and such a wanter to give
to people on the rise, and none of them ask
what they can do for me, or do something for me. Like, where’s that video,
where’s your video show saying “Hey, we want to do like “five custom GaryVee videos.” In our world, we’ll give ’em to you, you can use them as assets and then maybe you can give us some love. No, because people think about themselves and how do I get views. And what the whole world is predicated on when you’re doing biz dev is, can I give that person
51% of the value of the situation. Because if I do, then they’ll say yes and then I can get 49% of the value, and that’s what I do, day in and day out, and day in and day out. And that’s why I continue to win in a world where people
want 100% of the value. You wanted this question answered ’cause you wanted an answer and you were hoping that you could get on this show
and get the exposure, right, for your channel. You know what?
I’m gonna be a good guy, DRock link it up, there it is. Can’t you do stuff
within the YouTube world? There you go, you got some views. Now, bring some value.

3:13

– [Voiceover] Hayley wants to know, “What is your response to brands “looking for 24/7 community management? “Is it worth the investment, is it overkill?” – You know Hayley, I’m a big fan. I believe that everybody that you engage with and say hello to, I believe that everybody I said thanks to or TY, […]

– [Voiceover] Hayley wants to know, “What is your response to brands “looking for 24/7 community management? “Is it worth the
investment, is it overkill?” – You know Hayley, I’m a big fan. I believe that everybody
that you engage with and say hello to, I believe that everybody I said thanks to or TY, over the weekend, for watching all 21 episodes of this show get affected by that. I do think the human investment matters. I do think that if brands committed more to one-on-one marketing that many of them don’t think is scalable,
they would get bigger depth. We talked in the last episode
about depth and width. A lot of you responded to that. I think that community management 24/7 can be valuable if you’re big enough. You have to be a global
brand, you have to be a Pepsi. You have to be Toyota to really
get the value out of 24/7 ’cause otherwise you’re
paying people to sit around and not engage with anyone. I’m not crushing it on
Twitter between 2 AM Eastern and 6AM Eastern, so I don’t need anybody, which in this case is me, engaging there but if you’re big enough, I believe in it. – [Voiceover] “Okay, I get
it, go native, go deep,

0:35

do you consume and are there any particular people you listen to? – Thomas, how are you? Thank you for the opening question on episode 18, little bit a better mood for me than 17. I consume a lot of Twitter, predominantly. A little bit of Facebook newsfeed, a little bit of espn.com. I actually […]

do you consume and are
there any particular people you listen to? – Thomas, how are you? Thank you for the opening
question on episode 18, little bit a better mood for me than 17. I consume a lot of Twitter, predominantly. A little bit of Facebook newsfeed, a little bit of espn.com. I actually consume a shockingly
low percentage of media and as it comes to following people, who do I listen to? Again, I really don’t really pay attention to a whole lot of taste
makers or notable figures. I’m very within. I’m very selfishly stuck in my cocoon. But this is where I’m gonna
throw you for a curveball and I do think it’s a differentiator. I spend an obnoxious, heavy amount of time listening to my community. Last night, after lots of meetings, right before bed, instead
of consuming stuff as the normal marketplace does, I was reading the comments
that a lot of you left for me in yesterday’s episode. It is more interesting to me to understand what my, the people that I’m lucky enough
to give me their attention, what they’re looking for from me, a little bit about their life. I know that Chef Lizette
is moving to New York. I’m consuming my community which I think is me repaying
what you’re paying me with which is your attention. I’m giving you back my attention and so I haven’t anchored myself, maybe out of pride or bravado or ego to other taste makers or leaders. I don’t do that at all. It keeps me fresh in some way. It continues to allow me to be in my lingo and I don’t really wanna be affected. I’m very in my zone so my
consumption is quite low. I read Techmeme, Jason Hirschhorn’s email for like what’s in the news, but I’m not consuming much and I’m not following much except for you. – Gary, should I still
pursue a degree in marketing

1:38

– [Voiceover] Corey asks, “What’s the best way to grow a following or a community from nothing?” Corey, this is easy for me to answer, since I’ve done it a couple of times, and the real answer is, content and context. My belief is the best way to build a following right now is to […]

– [Voiceover] Corey asks,
“What’s the best way to grow a following or a
community from nothing?” Corey, this is easy for me to answer, since I’ve done it a couple of times, and the real answer is,
content and context. My belief is the best way to
build a following right now is to put out daily, if you can, content and get as close to
that as possible, right, and so, every day, put out your picture or your drawing on your
Snapchat that you blast out or your Instagram photos
or your video show or whatever you may be
doing. Your written blog, every day. You know? Six days is better than five days, and five days is better than four days, and four days is better than three days, and two days is better
than one day a week. But if you’re doing it one
or two or three days a week, are you really doing it? And so pumping out hardcore content, and then engaging. I’m going to ask a
Question of the Day today, and hopefully, after I get
home at 11:30, twelve tonight, I’m gonna go into the comments and reply to some of those answers, creating context. You’ve empowered me by watching my show, I then jumped back in to answer your Question of the Day answer, showing you that I appreciate you. We’ve created a deeper context, just like when I reply to
you or I answer your email or some of the Cyber Dusts
I’ve done in the last 24 hours, it’s about content and context. Building a community takes work. Building a community is
not a foregone conclusion. Everybody just thinks
you’re gonna start a show and everything’s gonna magically happen, or you’re gonna start a blog or you’re gonna become
an Instagram sensation. The talent to put out the content is only one piece of the equation. 1% of the magic 1%, get it
just by the content push-out, but for the rest of us
chaps and chapettes, we’ve gotta put in the
work into the community and care back to the
time they’ve allocated. The fact that people are spending
ten minutes to watch this in your ridiculously busy world is something I will never,
ever take for granted. – [Voiceover] Jon asks, “tea or coffee? Or wine?”

3:18

– [Voiceover] Yeah he’s back. – [Voiceover] Dragga asks, “I’m an indie music producer. “What tips do you have to promo my content “using social media marketing?” – Dragga, what’s up? You’re back. And I respect that. You’re in Episode One and Two. You one day will be a trivia question. So, the question is, […]

– [Voiceover] Yeah he’s back. – [Voiceover] Dragga asks,
“I’m an indie music producer. “What tips do you have to promo my content “using social media marketing?” – Dragga, what’s up? You’re back. And I respect that. You’re in Episode One and Two. You one day will be a trivia question. So, the question is, look you’re an indie guy, you’re trying to promote. I’m actually gonna move the mic to Steve. He’s not even expecting this. Go there. Go there. Do you get the sound? – [Voiceover] Yeah, we can. – You’re good with sound? The camera’s got its own sound? – [Voiceover] Yep. – Go ahead. Say what you just said to me. – So, Dragga, I looked
at your Twitter account, and you posted a remix of a Rihanna track eight times in the last 24 hours, since we aired the last
episode of this show actually. – That’s a little bit
overwhelming, Dragga. Now, couple things. I think the thing to really
think about is listening. I was actually clicking, and
that’s why we got focused. I don’t know what he was doing there, but he was replying to somebody. I like the replying in Twitter. That’s a tactic. Look, here’s what I think it’s all about. The quality of the music matters. Building up your SoundCloud matters. How does one do that? One of the ways to really do that is to become old school in some ways. Believe it or not, I’m
gonna go left field on you. How ’bout some music message boards? But not spamming them. Becoming a part of that community. How about searching every single person that Tweeted about Rihanna. Steve pull it up. Every single person who
Tweeted about Rihanna. Let me guess, but I’m gonna think
it’s a shitload, right? And so, in that shitload, jumping in and engaging with those people. Now you gotta spend a lot of time. You decided to do a Rihanna remix, not me. So that means you’ve gotta go through it, and it’s gonna take you a couple hours, because everybody’s
gonna be Tweeting like, “Rihanna’s hot. “Fuck Rihanna.” All that stuff. And you’re
gonna have to find the people that are actually talking
about Rihanna’s music, which I don’t know, probably small percentage of
what’s going on on Twitter. You’ve gotta jump into that and engage with it authentically. Engaging, and you’ve heard
of the 19 year-old dude move is not saying, “Check out my track.” You’ve gotta just kind of,
you know, jam with people. I would recommend, if
you’re jamming people, and jamming with people, not jamming. If you’re jamming with people, during that period, changing the URL in your Twitter profile to be a direct link to the Rihanna track. That’s right folks. That was a tactic, and
that’s why #AskGaryVee’s gonna be a big-time show. If you’re deciding to
do something specific for a two-day period, like Dragga should, around engaging people
about Rihanna’s music that actually talk about the music. I’d recommend he changes
his Twitter profile’s URL from his probably homepage, or whatever he’s got going on, to the actual link to the
SoundCloud of that show, because while he’s engaging, people are gonna be like, “Who the hell’s Dragga? “Let me click this link in his URL.” Boom, they’re listening to that. The viral loop gets going. The viral loop gets going.

1 2 3